Sunday, March 25, 2007

Accoutrements of Modern Living

One of the things I'll miss when we move out of this lovely place that we're house-sitting is easy access to laundry. There are of course laundry facilities in the building we're looking to move into (nothing's definite yet, so I'm trying not to jinx it), an elevator's ride down into the basement, but I've grown fond of Jody's little space-saving washer/dryer -- the latter stacked atop the former. It requires less planning and gets me in less trouble on those oh-so-frequent occasions when I get distracted by something shiny and forget I've been doing laundry until two days later when I can't find the socks I want to wear.

What it does have, however, is a dishwasher, which is intensely nice. Living three years in dorm rooms without dishwashers but with reasonable-sized sinks was a thing that could be managed, but our Morristown apartment had a sink that was about the size of my laptop screen -- in other words, insufficient to the job. I now have a metric for calling a kitchen sink 'too small,' to be defined as when a standard dinner plate, lowered horizontally, will not fit in because it is wider across than the basin.

My point is: Dishwashers are nice! And I have it on good authority that they're more energy- and water-efficient in the long run than washing dishes by hand.

Fun fact: Once upon a time, Ashlea cooked and I did the dishes. Then she got really sick for a while and didn't have the energy to do it, and I owned up to my lifelong hatred of washing dishes (wet food! icky!), so we switched. ...I can't actually cook, of course, but that's why God gave us Trader Joe's.

Sunday night is a good time to do laundry.

No comments: